Payment subscriptions have become really popular these days. They allow customers to purchase some kind of recurring service and forget about paying the bill manually after each payment cycle. The subscription deducts money automatically so you will never forget to pay for the service you purchased.
However, some people don’t like when money is deducted from their card/PayPal automatically. They would rather pay manually.
In this tutorial, we will learn how to cancel automatic payment subscriptions on PayPal
What you’ll need
Before you begin this guide you’ll need the following:
- An active payment subscription.
Step 1 — Navigating to Preapproved payments on PayPal
1. First of all, you will need to login to your PayPal account. You can do this here: paypal.com
by clicking the Log In
button in the upper-right corner of the page.
2. Once you are inside yourPayPal
you need to find a gear-shaped icon on the upper right corner of the screen. Click it and you will navigate to Settings
3. An additional blue top navigation bar will appear. Find and clickPayments
4.We now need to look forPreapproved payments
. It is located under Manage upcoming payments
Step 2 — Canceling payment subscription
In preapproved payments
screen you will see Subscriptions
, Automatically billed payments
, Installment plan payments
. In this tutorial we will learn how to stop Subscriptions
in particular, however, similar steps apply to other payment types also.
This is how Preapproved payments
page looks like:
1. In the list bellow, find thesubscription
you want to cancel and click on the name of the merchant
2. You will see subscription details on the next page. Please re-check the details and when you are sure you want to cancel this subscription clickCancel Subscription
3. A confirmation is required so you will need to clickCancel Subscription
one more time on the next page.
4. After successful cancellation you should see a message in a yellow background:
The subscription has been cancelled.
(Optional) To make sure that the subscription was really canceled you can navigate back toPreapproved payments
page and should see status Canceled
next to the subscription.
We have learned how to cancel payment subscriptions on PayPal. It is recommended to check the Preapproved payments
section on your PayPal once in a while so you could be aware of any upcoming automated billings.